Tuesday, February 8, 2011

More Chemo? Say What?!!!

I had an appointment today with yet another one of the oncologist doctors - Dr. Yen. I thought I was going in so he could tell me when I could get my port out. But actually, Dr. Yen didn't know yet about my clean PETscan. He had called me in for a different reason. It took him a few minutes to remember why he wanted me to come in. (He is not my regular doctor. Dr. McMullen is still on maternity leave.) He told me to "hang on a minute while I go check my email". I replied with a laugh, "As long as you aren't telling me I have to do more chemo." It was a joke. Come to find out, that's exactly what he wanted from me! More chemo! They call it maintenance. The chemo is called Pemetrexed (Alimta) and it is given once every three weeks for up to two years. I sat there listening to him, absolutely stunned. I didn't even cry because I was too stunned. Say what??? Apparently with stage 3 and 4 lung cancer, there is a better (or longer) survival rate with this regimen. There is a high risk of the cancer coming back. It could show up anywhere in my body. But it may not come back either. If the cancer comes back, I will never be cured of it. I am going to go see the doctor I saw at Stanford (back in August) to get her opinion on all of this. I want to know what she says.

Please pray for me. Pray for wisdom and guidance to know what to do. This has come as a shock to me. I thought I was finished! I had no idea! It's so very frightening to think that the cancer could very well come back! And it's so frustrating to think I may have to go through yet more chemo! The doctor did say that Alimta is well tolerated and I have already been hit with the hardest chemos that they have. Still!

For now though, I am clinging to the knowledge that as of right now there is no evidence of cancer in my body. That, and my faith that God is in control. I continue to trust Him with all that is in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment