Monday, September 27, 2010

Doctor Visit Today

I had my weekly visit with my oncologist today. My white blood cells are down, but that is to be expected. They are not dangerously low which is good. Dr. McMullen said they should start coming back up soon, and when they do, the sore in my mouth should heal up. The awful taste in my mouth is slowly starting to go away. For that I am very grateful since eating has been displeasurable. I haven't needed to take any of my meds for the last few days, and I can feel my body slowly returning to some normalcy. I have been sick with a cold though . I don't like having my immune system so down! I hardly ever got sick before all of this.

I start my next round of chemo October 11th. I am trying not to think about it too much. I miss having a "normal" life, and I miss feeling good and energetic. I had horrible insomnia last night and my legs felt so restless. My muscles don't understand why they aren't being worked anymore! I have been wanting to work out, but between my cold, this heat, and my lungs bothering me from coughing, I haven't managed to do anything. I am so looking forward to the day that I can run again! I do thank God though that my general health is so good. I watch some of the people that come in for chemo and radiation and am very thankful I am starting out so strong. Some patients look terrible! My heart goes out to them. I wonder about their story, and what kind of cancer they have.

Today I have completed 2 weeks of radiation. Two down, five more to go. So far my esophagus is feeling OK. My lungs are becoming irritated though and I am starting to cough. So right now I have the double whammy of coughs. My skin must be irritated. Yesterday my chest broke out with heat rash. I had never had that before!

I really appreciate the dinners we have been receiving. Everyone's support and generosity overwhelm me! I feel so loved and taken care of. The dinners have been amazing and I look forward to receiving our next. :) It's been so helpful knowing I don't have to make dinner at the end of the day when I am tired, and it's helpful to Mike since he doesn't have to come home from a long day of work and make dinner. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

2 comments:

  1. God Bless you, Naomi. I wish I were close enough to make you a dinner. Stay strong, lady. You have a lot of love around you. I love the song you've chosen for your blog. One of my very favorites. I love Casting Crowns.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Laura. I love this song also. The words seem to be written just for me. I appreciate your prayers and encouragement!

    ReplyDelete