Sunday, September 19, 2010

I Will Always Be With You

During my 65 mile bike ride on July 11th, I had to ride 2 miles up Metcalf Road, 38 miles into our ride. Metcalf is steep the whole entire way up. I was thinking about cancer as I was riding my bike up that hill (not even dreaming I actually had it at the time). I was determined that I would not stop for nothing riding up that steep hill. I passed men and women walking their bikes up it. But not me. I would ride it even if I passed out doing so. And I did! I realized as I was riding, that I did not need to fear cancer. That my determination would get me through it! God also gave me another relevation that day, a relevation that I had not thought about until after I found out about my lung cancer. Towards the top of the hill, there was a man standing on the side of the road with water. When I rode up towards him, he asked me, "Do you want to be sprayed or have the water poured over you?" I told him to pour it all over me! How refreshing that felt! It gave me renewed energy and instantly cooled me down. Then, after he threw the water on me, he grabbed my bike from behind me, and pushed me up the hill a little ways. I thanked him and went on my way. When I met Sue at the top, I told her about the guy pushing me, and she said, "He didn't push me!" It hit me a week or so into finding out about my cancer, that God had given me a vivid picture of Himself. A picture of Him and His loving care for me. God has promised me that He will give me the strength that I need to complete this journey that I am on. God will refresh me when I need it. He will push me when I need it. He is there, right beside me the whole way, running this race with me. Praise God!

3 comments:

  1. Naomi, thank you for this heartfelt and inspiring blog. I’m sure there are many of us who care very much, but are unsure as to how best to support you and stay up to date with your progress, without feeling like we are prying. The love, courage, strength, faith and even analytical nature that are enabling you to write this blog, will be your most important resources for this successful journey.

    Your friend,
    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have written beautifully. Keep it up Girl! I love how God gave you that moment on Metcalf. What a beautiful picture of His love and faithfulness. Thank you for sharing your heart and your journey.

    Hugs and much love,

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such an encouragement to me!

    Steve

    "What other people think of me is becoming less and less important: what they think of Jesus because of me is critical." - Cliff Richard

    ReplyDelete