Thursday, December 9, 2010

Difficult Last Day of Chemo

Today is hopefully, my very last day of getting chemo! I pray that it really is. I will have a CTscan in a month and a PETscan in two months. It started out rough today though. I woke up at four in the morning, with my hand resting on the side of my breast, and I noticed a defined lump that had not ever been there before. I was instantly awake and could not go back to sleep. I saw Dr. McMullen today before I started my last chemo. She says it's more than likely a cyst, but she wants it checked out just to be sure. She doesn't see how it could be anything cancerous with all the chemo I have been getting, plus it moves around like a cyst, not a tumor. Still, it's rather nerve wracking, and is NOT what I want to experience on my last day of chemo! I could not get an appointment for a mammogram until Tuesday, December 21st. :( I am on the waiting list and am hoping I can get in sooner.

The second surprise of the day came while I was getting chemo and the nurse came in to ask me what time I wanted to come in tomorrow for my bone marrow shot. I said, "Bone marrow shot? I thought I didn't have to get one?" She said that I do because my white count has been getting so low. I was, and still am, so very disappointed. I really hate that shot. It hits my body hard. I'm afraid I cried tears over that one. Sigh... Well, I just have to look at it this way - at least by the time Christmas comes around my white count will be up and I won't have to worry as much about getting sick while up in Tahoe. My red count is still down. The nurse told me it's just below 10 and normal is above 12. They don't worry about it unless it's below 8.

Tomorrow I get to have my neck worked on again by my massage therapist. I saw her last Friday and she said I have huge knots in my shoulders and neck (my headaches were coming back). She very kindly put me on her schedule for the next two Fridays. I am looking forward to seeing her tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment