Thursday, May 10, 2012

Starting Chemo In One Week

Dr. Wakelee called me Tuesday and said that she presented my case to the Stanford Tumor Board and they are all in agreement that chemo is the best decision for me.  The chances of there being cancer cells floating around in me is just too high.

I met with Dr. McMullen today (my oncologist) and after a lengthly discussion we decided to start chemo this Thursday, May 17.  I will be administered Cisplatin and Pemetrexed (Alimta) once every 3 weeks for 4 cycles.  I was given a Vitamin B12 injection today and will be given it again in 9 weeks for the Alimta.  I also have to take folic acid everyday for the Alimta.  I picked up all of my meds - 3 types of anti nasaea medicaion, steriods and folic acid.

My brain MRI is scheduled for this coming Tuesday and I will also get a hearing test done before next Thursday.  Cisplatin can cause hearing loss, so they want to monitor my hearing closely.

I am about 90% recovered from my surgery, starting to exercise, and feeling like myself again.  I dread the thought of having to face chemo again, but I am trying to go into it with a positive attitude and with a fighting spirit.  I know God will take me through this again just as He did before.  I just want to start the chemo and get it over with.  I want to feel good by the end of September for my trip back East!

No comments:

Post a Comment