Tuesday, November 9, 2010

No Chemo This Week

I went in for chemo this morning and had my white count tested first thing. My counts are still too low for chemo. I have to wait until next week for treatments. I also have to go in everyday this week, including Saturday and Sunday, to receive a shot that will help restore my bone marrow. Hopefully my counts will come up with the help of the shots. Next Friday after chemo I will get another shot for the bone marrow, but this one will will last for two weeks, so I won't have to go in every day. So, I get another week of no chemo, which is wonderful, and I get another week of getting stronger and feeling better, which isn't so wonderful because it makes it harder to go back. As it is, I did not want to go today. Yesterday my stomach hurt and I was upset about having to go through chemo again. It's funny, because I think that I am handling things well, but my mind does one thing, and my body does other. I guess my body tells the truth about how I am really feeling about things. But who wouldn't be upset about going through another round of chemo?

Friday and Saturday my head did not hurt, but on Sunday I woke up with it pounding. My head did not stop pounding until I woke up the next morning. It was an awful day on Sunday! I tried so many things to get rid of that darn headache. I iced it, took a hot bath, put a heating pad on it, had Mike stretch my neck, took a valium, drank some red wine (which between the valium and wine knocked me out for a little while), and then that evening I took one of the pain pills my doctor had prescribed. The pain pill was a mistake. It didn't help, and I felt sick to my stomach. But maybe all of the combined things did eventually help my head because it hasn't hurt since! LOL The Dr. I saw today prescribed a TENS (electric stimulator) for me as well as an anti-inflammatory medication. Hopefully those will work better, especially the TENS since it is NOT something I am putting into my body.

So, it looks like I will be finishing chemo December 8th instead of the on the 2nd. I was really hoping to be able to go to Mike's Christmas party on the 11th. I don't see how that will happen. At least I will still have two weeks to recooperate before going to Tahoe, provide everything goes as planned.

1 comment:

  1. Nay...You are INDEED handling this with grace and bravery. I pray that you are restored this week physically, emotionally and spiritually through this rest from chemo.

    xoxoxo m-b.

    ReplyDelete