I am finally beginning to feel a lot better since getting my last round of chemo. It has been a long couple of weeks. I have been so tired and have been sleeping poorly. One night I slept for only 3 hours because of horrible insomnia, and every night I kept waking up feeling overly hot. I would throw off my covers, wake up freezing cold, put them back over me, and it would go on and on throughout the night. I guess my body just couldn't regulate its temperature. The last two nights have been much better. Everything is intensified with chemo. I get allergies this time of the year, and this year is the worst it's ever been. My throat hurt for several days from the constant sinus drainage and then I would cough from it. I also still have a constant cough from the radiation irritating my lungs. It seems my body was hit hard this time around. I don't know if it's because of the higher chemo dosages or just a build up of it. I just haven't been able to do much of anything because of the fatigue. Yesterday I walked with Mike down our hill and then back up. My heart was pounding like crazy walking back up the hill. My body has been experiencing the yo-yo-effect. It gets weak from chemo, gets stronger as time goes by, and then starts all over again with more chemo. I lose weight, put it on, and lose it again. It must be freaking out! My hair is beginning to fall out again. I had lost half of it during the first cycle of chemo, none the second, and this time around I'm going to lose more, though how much, is yet to be seen.
Wednesday was my birthday. I actually felt pretty OK most of the day. I was able to enjoy an hour and a half walk with a friend on a farm along the coast. It was a beautiful day. Cold, but beautiful. We walked along the cliffs, watching the waves pound into them, and walked all around the brussel sprout fields breathing in the ocean air. I relaxed the rest of the day. Mike cooked me mouth watering filet mignon for dinner. Unfortunately though, as soon as I started eating, my stomach began cramping up, and I couldn't enjoy my dinner. The next day was Thanksgiving, and my stomach did not stop cramping until that night. It was a miserable Thanksgiving day for me. I did go over to my in-laws for dinner and games, but I wasn't able to eat anything but a few bites of soup and a dinner roll. Next Thanksgiving I am really going to pig out! :)
I had previously wished my life could slow down and I could be home more. Well, I got that wish. It seems I am home all the time now. So much so, that sometimes I feel a little house-bound and need to get out. I just haven't had the energy though, so I keep telling myself that I need to keep this slower pace so that my body can heal itself. I have been reading a lot of books, cross stitching, surfing the web, going through pictures, playing games, etc. I also put together a scrap book with all of the encouraging cards and emails you all have so lovingly given to me. It has been nice to have the time to do those things.
I have one more week until I have to go back for my last round of chemo. I am glad I feel so much better today. I was beginning to worry that my body wasn't going to be ready for chemo next week. But I think it will be. I am almost there. I can do this!
No comments:
Post a Comment