Thursday, October 21, 2010

Stepping Into the Ring





A friend of mine gave me a book called Stepping into the Ring by Nichole Johnson as well as a pair of miniature boxing gloves which are now hanging in my car. It didn't take me long to get through this wonderful little book. It is such an encouraging story and perfect for me. As you all know, I love kickboxing, and I could really relate to the analogy being used throughout this book. The book begins with a woman's ordeal of discovering she has breast cancer and takes her through the emotional process of coming to terms with it. Here are a few lines from the book that I found very meaningful: Finding out I had cancer was like going to sleep in my own bed and suddenly waking up in the middle of a boxing ring. Out of the clear blue I am standing toe-to-toe with the Heavyweight Champion of the World, the crowd is looking on, and I am in my pajamas and don't even know how to throw a punch... Everything in me wanted to go back to the moment in time before I got the report, but that was simply not an option. I was already in the ring. The only choice was whether or not to go forward. I could keep standing there, literally getting killed, or I could begin to fight back... I'm coming out swinging. I refuse to put a period in my life where God may have only put a comma. I don't know how long this fight will go on. I want to beat cancer to live a long life. I want the privilege of growing old and forgetful. I want to sit through boring graduations with tears running down my cheeks. But that is not the real victory in the ring. I could have a lengthy life and not have life at all. The win is mine when the powerful right hook of Hope knocks out the sulking, dark coward called Despair...No one who fights with her hope in the Lord ever loses the last round. Today is only one chapter, not the complete book of my life. I have cancer, but cancer does not have me. Cancer can take my cells, but it cannot take my self. Cancer can have my hair, but it cannot have my heart. Cancer can claim my [lung], but it can never claim my spirit!... When the last bell rings, cancer may stand in the center alone, but it will not be the winner. In order for cancer to win, it would have to be able to follow me beyond the grave, and it can't. It will be left alone in the ring with a tired, worn-out shell. My life will be with the One in whom I've put my hope, the Author of everlasting life. He will take my hand in his and raise it in victory." Amen!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment