Monday, October 11, 2010

Starting 2nd Half of Round 1 Chemo




Tomorrow I start another week of chemo. I am getting the Cisplatin and Etoposide both together on Tuesday, which means it will be a long day (5 1/2 to 6 hours). Then I get the Etoposide Wednesday through Saturday (1 1/2 hrs.) and Cistplatin again the following Tuesday (5 to 5 1/2 hrs.) I am hoping it will all go OK and my meds will do their job again of keeping the nausea away.

I felt really good this past week. I even managed to go to kickboxing twice. I am not as strong as I once was, but it felt so good to be there and do some exercise! Mike and I finally celebrated our 19th anniversary on Saturday and went out to dinner. I ordered a glass of red wine and was disappointed to discover that my taste buds have not entirely come back. The wine didn't taste good at all and it burned my esophagus. I really hope that when this is all over I will get to enjoy a good glass of red wine again.

Today my friend Susan went with me to the Look Good Feel Better class put on by the American Cancer Society. I was given a bag full of makeup donated by companies like Chanel, Avon, Mary Kay, etc. We were shown how to put on the makeup as well as how to paint on eyebrows (which I have not lost yet). We were also given a scarf tying demonstration and then we had fun trying on wigs. It was hilarious trying on the wigs! I look better in hats, and I am most definitely NOT a red head! :) It was encouraging being with other women that are going through the same thing as me.

Please keep me in your thoughts and prayers these next couple of weeks. The good news is that I am half way done with radiation!

4 comments:

  1. You are NOT a redhead but look GREAT in makeup!!! I know the other women enjoyed being with you as well. It was neat to see you all encouraging each other. No one else can really know what it is like. Have you ever thought about going to a support group? Thanks for a fun day. *hugs* and enjoy your hats!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look beautiful Naomi! Love the hat and I bet you look great in a scarf too. You are in my thoughts...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Naomi, having been through chemo and radiation myself this year, I can identify with much of what you are feeling these days. The best part is that the Lord identifies with your suffering, and He will tenderly carry you through these unbelievably challenging days. I know! He did it for me! And He taught me how to appropriate His peace on a whole new level. Just know that I love you and am praying for you, Naomi. Rachel (your mom's Portland friend)

    ReplyDelete